User Details

Username: pechmann
Website: None provided
Facebook: None provided
Twitter: None provided
Soundcloud: None provided
Account Status: enabled
Member since: Sep 27 2012
About pechmann:
(report this profile)

Devices by pechmann

AS40 for Live 8 Version 1.2
AS40 Version 1.0
Skin Editor Version 1.0
Phase Distortion Synth Version 1.1
APC Device Navigation Version 2.0
Gloubi-Boulga Version 1.0
FlutterStereo Version 1.1
Trunc Version 1.0

Total Downloads: 40,358


Comments by pechmann

Comments

Hey mbreeson, sorry to hear that. If it still helps, what you could do is take any .amxd instrument (say "DS Kick.amxd"), create a copy of that, rename it "Phase Distortion Synth.amxd", and replace my file with that one. When you load the project, Live will try to load the DS Kick in place of the Phase Distortion Synth. This will not really work, but it shouldn't crash Live.

Hey jorgen96,
there's a new version of the synth that I'm slowly getting ready for posting on here. Hopefully that version doesn't produce the crashes -- I don't have any other idea what the cause of the crash might be. You could also try asking Ableton support about it, saying I can't the reproduce the crash in order to debug. (After all, using Max for Live for building synths shouldn't be something that crashes Live at all.) Sorry I can't help more at this point.

Hey guys,

if you are experiencing crashes with the device in Live 10, please try with the repacked version at https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tzxtr2rdjay5xx/Phase%20Distortion%20Synth%201.1.1.amxd?dl=0

Does this version still produce the crashes?

Thanks for your help,

Martin

Hey tonwelle,
unfortunately I can't reproduce the crash on my system. It sounds like a Live/Max problem with your configuration. It's probably best to contact Ableton support about it. (Maybe check out the Live beta 10.0.2b2, there seem to be some M4L-related fixes in the changelog.) Hope this helps.

Hi Marcusan, the win32kfull.sys seems to point to a Windows 10 problem. I can't think of anything I could fix that might be causing this, especially since your crashes don't seem to be immediately connected to file loading/saving actions. I also checked if the skin file format has changed in recent Live versions, but it hasn't. The only thing that's ever been causing problems for me was when I tried editing skins other than the default one. I don't have windows 10 so I'm sorry I can't help you more, just make sure your Live and Max versions are up to date. You could also try contacting the Ableton/Cycling '74 support.

Hi guys, fantastic work!

I've used your Diffuse dials and dial code for an M4L device (an interface for a SVF implementation by Oli Larkin). I'd also like to share this device on maxforlive.com. Is this alright with you or do you want to keep those dials exclusive to Surreal Machines?

Greetings and thanks for Magnetic/Diffuse!

Martin

(I also tried mailing to info@surrealmachines.com, but received an error message: "no valid MX hosts found".)

That's great to hear. By the way, I have to caution against updating Max to version 6.1.8, as this introduces a bug that can cause some problems especially related to the envelope times. On the other hand, loading time is greatly improved now, so everything should be working nicely when a Max 6.1.9 update comes.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, it's just that the code is a bit of a mess and kind of hard to change now. Maybe I will try to do something with the APC again, but can't promise anything.

Do you see any error messages in the Max window? (Right/Cmd-Click on the device title bar, "Open Max Window") On the device UI, do you get the phase ramp and sine waveform displayed as in the screenshot?

Thanks!

Hey Crampe,
thanks! Exporting a pencil-drawn waveform works fine for me in that the audio file does contain the waveform. But there was a bug where dropped audio files would be applied incorrectly. Maybe that made it seem like it didn't export properly? Should be fixed now (version 1.1)

Hey Crampe,
thanks! Exporting a pencil-drawn waveform works fine for me in that the audio file does contain the waveform. But there was a bug where dropped audio files would be applied incorrectly. Maybe that made it seem like it didn't export properly? Should be fixed now (version 1.1)

Thanks Crampe,
let me know if there is anything I can explain or clarify.

I guess this isn't really a typical mfl device because, basically, all it does is replace certain bytes in the skin file. For this I looked into the file object in Max Javascript (http://cycling74.com/docs/max6/dynamic/c74_docs.html#jsfileobject). The rest is about collecting all those colors, managing data flow and designing the UI, which is quite straightfoward in Max. Also, I made use of Max's abstraction principles: The color fields are instances of one abstracted color field and these instances receive information on which color to control.

Hi Lokua, I've tried comparing the meter color with the ones visible in the [colors] window via photoshop, no match. So I don't think you can actually change it in skin files.