Device Details

Device Overview

Name/Version: Flow - Generative Sequencer 1.0.1
Author: orthogonal  
Description: Flow is a generative, non-linear MIDI sequencer for Ableton Live that allows you to compose music by defining simple steps and rules that determine how the music will change over time.

You define the rules, and Flow executes them, producing infinitely long and varying musical patterns.

Flow offers a new way of making music that is based on generative and organic principles. It lets you explore new possibilities beyond the conventional approaches of linear sequencing.

Whether you want to create soothing ambient soundscapes with complex generative chords, go wild with fast and chaotic breakcore rhythms, or craft melodies and arpeggios that reharmonize with unpredictable yet harmonious chord changes — Flow can handle all of these, and anything in between.

Featured in MusicRadar: https://www.musicradar.com/news/flow-generative-midi-sequencer-ableton-live
 

Device Details

Tags drum, sequencer, effect, glitch, other
Live Version Used: 11.3.12
Max Version Used: 8.5.6
Date Added: Oct 24 2023 11:30:30
Date Last Updated: Feb 22 2024 21:52:21
Device Type: midi_device
Download URL (report link) https://orthogonal.one/products/flow/
License (more info): Commercial


Comments

very well made however i wish instead of probability percentages we could finally move onto more musical timings like once every 4 bars or every other note or something.

This device _does_ use musical intervals to determine when events occur. The probability only helps determine how likely an event is to occur relative to other events. You've made a criticism which isn't valid at all.

no you misunderstood. Im saying instead of probability percentage, replace it completely with musical timings

But that makes no sense in the context of the device. You set the probability of an event happening relative to other events. These events happen at musical intervals. The point of this device is for a state machine to determine how likely one of those events happens compared to the other possible outcomes and the likelihood of each event happening is set by a percentage chance the user defines, e.g. there?s a 50% chance that event A happens on every beat, a 25% chance that event B happens on every beat, and a 25% chance event C happens every beat. That isn?t something that could be defined using musical intervals, because that doesn?t make logical sense. The events themselves _are_happening at defined musical intervals which are determined by the user.

I?m guessing you?ve not actually used the device, because it should be easy to see that what you?re saying doesn?t make sense in context of what it does?

Login to comment on this device.

[ browse device library ]